CATEGORY: Professional Practice
SPEAKER: Scott Ahroni, Esq.
THIS COURSE COMBINES TWO TOPICS INTO ONE AMAZING & INFORMATIVE SEMINAR!
This webinar examines how foreign investors are taxed on U.S. real estate during ownership. It also examines the details of the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA) which addresses the tax consequences to foreign investors disposing of their U.S. realty interests. Finally, the course will examine how to plan for acquisitions and dispositions of US real estate.
Estate planners are increasingly working with expatriates and foreigners regarding their estate and tax planning for their U.S. owned businesses and investments. This seminar will discuss the specific issues of inbound and outbound estate and gift tax planning, as well as, the compliance obligations of imposed on both clients and practitioners engaging in foreign estate plans. Finally, this seminar will discuss the IRS recent audit campaigns targeting foreign investment in the U.S. and what relief provisions are available if you or your client need to come into compliance with information reporting obligations.
Topics & Learning Objectives Include:
Part 1 - Scott Ahroni - International Taxation for Foreign Investment in U.S. Real Estate
- Determine the U.S. tax consequences of a foreign investor owning U.S. real estate
- Summarize the application of the U.S. tax consequences when the foreign investor disposes of the U.S. real estate
- Determine structural alternatives for foreign investment in U.S. real estate.
Part 2 - Scott Ahroni & Jeff Glogower - Foreign Estate and Gift Planning
- How to determine U.S. tax residence for the Estate and Gift Tax
- Foreign information reporting for foreign gifts and foreign transfers to and distributions from foreign trusts
- Substantive U.S. estate and gift tax rules relative to foreign investors’ planning and tax minimization alternatives including the use of foreign trusts, determining the gross estate and taxable gifts, and modifications to the unified credit and marital deduction
Scott Ahroni and Jeff Glogower both have extensive experience assisting clients with international income, business and estate tax planning as well as, international information returning filings.