DATE: Thursday December 15, 2022
TIME: 8:50 A.M. - 5:10 P.M. Eastern
8:50 - 10:45 Welcome & Lecture
10:45 - 11:00 Coffee Break
11:00 - 12:30 Lecture
12:30 - 1:30 Lunch (on your own)
1:30 - 3:15 Lecture
3:15 - 3:30 Coffee Break
3:30 - 5:00 Lecture
5:00 - 5:10 Wrap-up
LOCATION: Long Island Marriott, Uniondale L.I.
This seminar will feature a detailed New York State tax update by Mark Klein and Joe Endres featuring the NYS PTET RULES Updated for 2022, the NEW NYC PTET Rules for 2022, the new 2022-2023 NYS budget, NYS tax issues and residency rules, and NEXUS & COVID-19 Issues for NYS & NYC. Joe Endres will present an update on NYS sales tax rules and abandoned property rules.
The afternoon session at the hotel will be Tax Audits and Collections by Scott Ahroni and NJ Tax Update by Chaim Kofinas - see detailed topics below. (All seminar attendees will receive a complimentary archive of Prof. Barry Leibowicz's presentation - however no additional cpe will be earned above the 8 credits earned at the hotel).
The afternoon session at the webinar will include a third option - NYS Tax Audits & Appeals by Prof. Barry Leibowicz. You will be able to choose 2 of the 3 topics and speakers listed below (you do not need to decide now, all 3 options will be presented at the webinar and you can choose to view any 2).
Topics & Learning Objectives Include:
Morning Session - Mark Klein & Joe Endres
- NYS PTET RULES UPDATED FOR 2022
- NEW NYC PTET RULES FOR 2022
- The Recently Passed 2022-2023 NYS Tax Budget
- NEW Excelsior CHIP Tax Program
- NEXUS & COVID-19 Issues for NYS & NYC
- New Legislation
- Possible Legislation - Legislation To Watch
- Resident & Non-Resident Telecommuting Issues
- NYC UBT Update
- Enforcement Issues
- Sales Tax Issues
- Handling a Case from Audit to Court
- Real Life Examples Heard Nowhere Else
At the Hotel Scott Ahroni & Chaim Kofinas
At the Webinar - Any 1 of the 3 below
(You Will Have the Option on the day of the Webinar to Choose any 2 of the 3 Courses Below)
Chaim Kofinas - NJ Tax Update
- NJ BAIT
- NJ Inheritance Tax Trap
- Summary of NJ Taxation of Individuals
- Retirement Income Exclusion
- NJ Reaction to TCJA Individual
- NJ Reaction to TCJA Business
- Combined Reporting Update
- Update on Sales Tax
Scott Ahroni - Update on Tax Audits and Collections - HOTEL ONLY
(The webinar version of Scott Ahroni will be International Estate and Gift Planning)
- The "hot button" audit triggers and related issues
- How to best protect your client during a civil audit and criminal investigation
- How to shield your client from forced collection activity by the IRS and New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.
Prof. Barry Leibowicz - NYS Tax Audits & Appeals - WEBINAR ONLY
- Audits by various agencies for various taxes, and the differences between them.
- Representing the taxpayer from audit inception to conclusion
- How to avoid common audit mistakes during Federal, State or Local Audits
- Identifying and using Statutes of Limitations to get a better result
- What information need be turned over during the audit, and the scope of accountant confidentiality
- Settling disputed issues and getting to yes.
- Strategies for when it becomes clear that an agreement cannot be reached
- Appealing adverse audit determinations
- Preparing for an appeals conference or hearing
- Avoiding an audit determination for one tax from triggering liabilities for other taxes.
- Audit proofing your client